Friday, February 7, 2014

Workout Regimen-the modified version



So I wanted to start this post with a pre-pregnancy picture of my abs…..



Working out has been my anti-drug since I can remember.  I found my passion through basketball in the third grade, and after the competitive play stopped about two years ago, I have still stuck with the staying fit part.  I think being an athlete has made me treat my body like a temple, it's been less about any sort of award or accolade that comes with being involved in sports, but more about how competition and being healthy has made me feel.  Now, I don't want to be dishonest, I have had my fair share of great nights eluding my body with my favorite tequilas followed by several, several pieces of pizza, more times than I can count.  Also,  I overly indulge on holidays, and I typically give myself leeway on weekends and all special occasions.  For the most part, I really have done my best to stay healthy and make it my lifestyle.

Let's be honest, it can be annoying being around those healthy people who spend five minutes talking to the waitress about how important it is that they get wheat instead of white bread, or the lovely request of cooking without butter or oil, etc.  I'm not proud to admit it, but I'm that person, YIKES. God bless my mother for always having a red meat accommodation and for cooking an extra side of oil-less, butter-less veggies.

Being pregnant, it's been hard to adjust to the modified work outs.  Particularly, being a collegiate athlete has trained my mind to ignore and persevere  through pain, this is contrary to how I am supposed to live the recommended pregnancy lifestyle.  In the past, pain essentially meant that I was working out hard, and if I didn't look like I had just come from the shower, my work out clearly was not hard enough.  Now, my heart rate is not to be too elevated, and I am supposed to slow down with any sign of shortness of breath, soreness, or dehydration.  I get it, I really do, but there's just something in me that even at 32 weeks in is struggling to adjust.  I mean, a work out without shortness of breath?! Maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit, for the doctor says I can continue the work outs I was doing prior to being pregnant, BUT in moderation.  If I never hear that word again, I'll be happy.  So basically, I should never feel like this after a work out.

Here are some things I've been able to stick with during my pregnancy…..in moderation.

Spinning- My dad got me into this, and I have become an addict!  I have been limiting myself to twice per week, but it's something I really look forward to.  I love that the work out correlates with the music, you are around a group of people, and the fact that you can burn 1000 calories in one hour is an added benefit!  I've had to let go of the goal of going the whole fastest pace with the highest resistance which has been no easy task.  

Intervals- While I used to do them running, I've actually enjoyed 20-30 minute intervals on the elliptical.  When I time things, whether it be resistance added, direction my legs are moving, or the speed in which I'm going, it ALWAYS makes the work out go by faster.  Like spinning, I like to work out to the beat of a song and it keeps the motivation going.

Weight training- I've eased up on this, but instead of doing lunges with 20lb weights, I'll do more reps wit no weight.  Same for squats.  It's not the same, but sometimes I can even still "feel the burn."

I haven't done this one as much, but it was always a good morning workout to start the day.


I am already excited, although I know it will be a long, long time, to get back into a more difficult work out regimen.  Luckily, I really do prefer short and more difficult over long and less strenuous work outs, and I think I'll be able to implement these short work outs (that involve shortness of breath, sweating, soreness, etc) into my daily life.  I have thinking a lot about doing P30x, or I know Kelly Rippa (love her) has an at home video that seems great.  Futuristic goals of mine (next 1-3 years) include at least one half marathon as well as another triathlon.  Hopefully it's not too ambitious to think my new life will allow time for these!

At my last doctor's appointment, my doctor ordered that I get another ultrasound within the next week or two to be sure the baby's size is on track.  She assured me there is nothing to worry about, but warned me that if she is small, then I may have to stop working out as much, so we'll see if the already modified workouts need to go through round 2 of modifications.

If you need a little work out motivation, here are some reasons to get fit:

Happy Friday :)






No comments:

Post a Comment